‘Don’t light fires in this hot weather’ - Warning after garage fire breaks out near Dereham
PUBLISHED: 17:28 10 July 2018 | UPDATED: 18:16 10 July 2018
Firefighters were called to put out a garage fire near Dereham.
Two appliances from the mid-Norfolk market town were called shortly after 3pm today (Tuesday July 10) to Kennedy Close, Toftwood.
Incident commander, Alan Jaye, from Norfolk Fire and Rescue warned others to avoid lighting fires due to the recent hot and dry weather.
He said: “This was an accidental fire which spread from a bonfire. It escalated due to the dry weather.
“It’s not as hot today but due to the wind and how dry it is, it doesn’t take much to get a fire going.
“The message is simple - don’t light fires in this weather.”
The majority of the garage has been destroyed in the blaze and there was also some charring to a neighbour’s garage.
The fire was under control within an hour and no one was injured.