Search

Mum thanks Dereham pair who rescued panic-stricken daughter at ‘nightmare’ Newmarket Little Mix concert

PUBLISHED: 11:47 27 June 2017 | UPDATED: 19:33 27 June 2017

Little Mix take to the stage at Newmarket Nights Picture: JOHN HOY

Little Mix take to the stage at Newmarket Nights Picture: JOHN HOY

Archant

The mother of a young girl who suffered a panic attack at the Little Mix concert in Newmarket has said she is “beyond grateful” to two Dereham heroes who came to her aid.

The crowd watch Little Mix perform at Newmarket Nights. Picture: JOHN HOY The crowd watch Little Mix perform at Newmarket Nights. Picture: JOHN HOY

Dereham Carnival chairman Kerry Doyle and vice chairman Pete Jessop didn’t hesitate to use their organisational skills and teamwork to get the youngster out of danger.

Ms Doyle and Mr Jessop were with Mr Jessop’s family and friends at the concert at Newmarket Racecourse on Friday night when they saw a girl struggling.

“We had a little girl aged about 11 or 12 near us have a panic attack and she began fainting,” said Ms Doyle. “Her poor mum was petrified and we were right in the middle of the mosh pit.

MORE: Newmarket Nights organisers say event will be reviewed after families’ criticism of Little Mix concert

“We began to get her to the front but it was a nightmare. I scooped her up and we had to barge our way through the drunken crowds of adults.

“Pete took her as we ran up the stairs to get her to a paramedic only to struggle to find anyone. I sat with her with my hand on hers trying to slow her breathing down.

“I was really disappointed with stewarding and that first aiders were hard to find. Our expectation was that a marshall would have been nearby to radio for help.”

The event organisation has come in for widespread criticism from families saying drunken crowds became violent and trampled over younger fans leaving many traumatised by the experience.

MORE: Families ‘disgusted’ after Little Mix at Newmarket Nights descends into drunken ‘scenes from hell’

Organisers have vowed to review security and apologised to anyone who did not enjoy the event.

Ms Doyle said the event organisation was a “nightmare” and although it had offered tickets for children as young as five she said it was “not the place for little kids”.

She said: “There were far too many people drinking and not caring about pushing kids. Event organisers should have anticipated the amount of young children and put measures in place to ensure they were safe.”

The girl’s mother Julie Long took to social media to trace and thank “the wonderful lady and gent who physically lifted my little girl out of the crowds and ran with her to first aid when she had a panic attack”.

She said she was “beyond grateful” and added: “Thank heavens amazing people like you still exist in this world. A kind act never forgotten.”

Related articles

Other news

Yesterday, 17:59

A stately home owner who removed plants, trees and shrubs from the garden of his 80-year-old tenant was entitled to do so, a court has heard.

Yesterday, 15:45

They have been around for over 160 years but are Christmas cards on the way out?

Yesterday, 14:43

An 80-year-old’s garden was left looking like a “bomb site” after the owner of a Norfolk stately home allegedly destroyed trees, shrubs and plants to the value of more than £3,500, a court heard.

Yesterday, 13:22

More than 350 people have been arrested in the last year thanks to Norfolk Constabulary’s campaign targeting drug dealing in the county.

Most Read

Tue, 17:29

A topping out ceremony in Wells has heralded an important milestone in the multi-million pound renovation of its arts and heritage centre.

Read more
Heritage Lottery Fund

Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 3°C

min temp: -1°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Fakenham and Wells Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter