First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 New special school opens doors to first students
- 2 Fakenham 2022 - What to expect for housing, retail, tourism and hospitality
- 3 Fakenham firms keen to protect customers as rate of inflation soars
- 4 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 5 Further cold weather alert for Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Pair of primary schools join Diocese of Norwich trust
- 7 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 8 Council to sell land in 'Chelsea-on-Sea'
- 9 Medals awarded to esteemed military man to go under the hammer
- 10 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk