�90,000 plan to help people hit by recession
A �90,000 "stop-gap" fund could be created to help north Norfolk people who have been hit hard by recession.People who have been made unemployed or who are stuck in low wage jobs would benefit from the fund, which would be used to meet the increased demands for support, advice and information caused by the economic downturn.
A �90,000 “stop-gap” fund could be created to help north Norfolk people who have been hit hard by recession.
People who have been made unemployed or who are stuck in low wage jobs would benefit from the fund, which would be used to meet the increased demands for support, advice and information caused by the economic downturn.
Those needing basic training in numeracy, literacy and computer skills could benefit from extra help, and CV advice and job-hunting support could be provided for people who have not been unemployed for many years.
The money would also improve access, providing more services from council offices in Fakenham and North Walsham as well as the Cromer headquarters.
North Norfolk District Council cabinet last week allocated �45,000 towards the project from its reserves - meaning there is no additional cost to taxpayers for starting the fund.
And officers hope their commitment will be matched with another �45,000 from the North Norfolk Community Partnership.
- 1 Repair work set to get under way at 'carbuncle' property
- 2 Host of Fakenham Jubilee events revealed
- 3 Dentist staff working round the clock to address 'enforcement action'
- 4 Fakenham swimming pool plans - Everything you need to know
- 5 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 6 'An iron man in a wooden boat' - Tribute paid to legendary coxswain
- 7 The Female Fisherman 'overwhelmed' by national award win
- 8 Dog and group cut off by tide saved after being spotted waist-high in water
- 9 Cadets head out for a week at sea
- 10 Council set to sell mobile home site
Economic development officer Robin Smith warned that the country is entering the second wave of recession, where local councils and their partners become more important as local people increasingly need their services.
He added that it was important to see the �90,000 fund as part of an ongoing strategy to tackle the recession.
It is funded separately from a �1.1m bid to Interreg which council officers hope will fund a raft of measures to help the district's recovery in the medium term.
The council's strategy stems from ideas gathered at a recession summit that took place in April, when 140 delegates from various business sectors came together with the council to discuss how fight the downturn.
“It is important to remember that this is not just my action plan, and not just the council's action plan,” said Mr Smith. “It is everyone's plan and we have created it in partnership with the people it will help.”
In the mean time, the council is relying on the North Norfolk Community Partnership to contribute �45,000 to the short-term fund, and a spokesman for the council said after the meeting that initial discussions were very positive.
He said: “The Partnership will meet on November 23 to discuss the fund, and we are confident that our partners will support the initiative.”
However, if the funding bids are not approved, the council will be forced to scale back its plans, focussing on priority areas rather than the wide-ranging approach it favours.