School’s award for caring for diabetic students
- Credit: Fakenham Academy
Fakenham Academy has won an award for care for diabetic students.
Lewis Wakefield has attended Fakenham Academy for two years. Parents Lisa and Gary Wakefield nominated the school for the reassurance it gives in helping Lewis.
Their nomination said: "It is difficult to single out the best thing that the school does for us and Lewis. As parents of a Type 1 child, often the most challenging thing is to not let diabetes take over all of our lives and to worry about it 24-7.
"Lewis goes to school knowing that he will receive the back-up and support he needs, and that everyone 'gets' what his condition means. We know we do not need to worry."
Mr Colin Bye, head of humanities, social sciences, PE and MFL Faculty, said "I'm proud of our ongoing work. I work closely with Lewis on a day-to-day basis, supporting him with the management of his blood sugar levels.
You may also want to watch:
"I do not want diabetes to be a barrier to learning, in and out of the classroom. The management of Type 1 is a learning process, and as with any learning it is about students becoming increasingly independent but still having support when it is needed."
In August, Jacqui Waring, assistant head at Fakenham Academy, will be walking 70 miles across the Lake District, raising money through sponsorship to support Diabetes UK. Sponsorship details can be obtained from the school.
- 1 Chocolate factory gets coronavirus cases down to two following outbreak
- 2 Town faces more disruption after resurfacing fails
- 3 Medal of US airman who saved 18 lives in 1953 floods returns to Norfolk
- 4 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
- 5 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 6 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 7 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 8 Covid rates continue to slow but national deaths pass 100,000
- 9 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 10 'A deserved hoorah!' - Thanks pour in for practice's Covid vaccine rollout