Briston farmer wins award
A North Norfolk family farm with unchanged field boundaries for more than 200 years is the latest winner of the county's top conservation award.Arable and livestock producer Herbert Kittle, of Briston, was presented with the Ian MacNicol Memorial Trophy by John Hurst, on behalf of the sponsors, solicitors Birketts.
A North Norfolk family farm with unchanged field boundaries for more than 200 years is the latest winner of the county's top conservation award.
Arable and livestock producer Herbert Kittle, of Briston, was presented with the Ian MacNicol Memorial Trophy by John Hurst, on behalf of the sponsors, solicitors Birketts.
The three judges of the Norfolk Farming and Wildlife Advisory Group's conservation competition were unanimous in awarding the Kingfisher trophy to Mr Kittle, of Pee-wit Farm. The trophy is presented in memory of his former near neighbour, Ian MacNicol, of the Stody estate.
The runner-up was Nigel Carey, of Mill Farm, Great Witchingham, and the two highly-commended were Robin Ellis, of Manor Farm, Wellingham, and Anthony Stilgoe, of Crabbe Hall Farm, Burnham Market.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Kittle's enthusiasm for farming and conservation was evident, said last year's winner and judge, Charles Sayer, of Sparham, who said commercial viability of the enterprise was central to the competition.
His fellow judges had been impressed by the “BAPs” - the Biodiversity Action Plan species to the acre. “I heard turtle dove, willow tit, redwing, linnet, reed bunting and skylark, whitethroat, and so on. He has totally embraced the conservation issues and really lived and breathed everything he did,” said Mr Sayer.
- 1 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 2 Market town set for 'modest' council tax precept rise
- 3 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 4 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Could you give these Shetland sheep a caring new home?
- 7 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 8 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 9 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 10 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week