Building of new roundabout to ease traffic in busy costal town postponed until next year
- Credit: Archant
Plans to build a new roundabout to ease traffic congestion in a busy seaside town have been postponed until next year.
Work was expected to begin in the coming weeks on the roundabout on Beach Road, Wells.
Discussions have taken place over the past year and it is hoped the roundabout will improve traffic flow, particularly in the busy summer months.
However the building has been postponed until next year after worries were raised by local businesses over access while the work is carried out, particularly over how caravans are going to get through.
At a meeting on Monday, February 4, Wells Town Council accepted the plan of action put forward by the Highways Authority and stakeholders, with a guarantee that the work is started in January 2020 but expressed concerns over the delay of the roundabout project.
You may also want to watch:
After the meeting, mayor of Wells Mike Gates said: “We were hoping for it to be built around this time.
“There have been discussions and some were a bit concerned that they didn’t have enough time to plan for the works.
- 1 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 2 Holiday lets look forwards to seeing 'happy faces' as lockdown eases
- 3 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 4 Town centre gets 'spring clean' ahead of high street re-opening
- 5 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 6 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 7 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
- 8 Covid drive-through testing centre opens in town car park
- 9 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 10 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
“It was all geared up for this year but we won’t have it until next year.
“There was an issue about trying to get caravans down that road.
“The concern is that we have done our bit and got told at the last minute that it’s not going to happen this year, it’s a bit disappointing.”
Wells Town Council has contributed towards the construction of the new roundabout through partnership funding.
It is hoped that the plans will make traffic smoother in an area which often becomes congested, particularly when cars are entering and exiting beach car parks in the summer months.”
Mr Gates added: “What the town council is hoping for is that it will improve the traffic flow around the Beach Road junction.
“There can be big queues getting off the beach in summer, it will make it smoother.”
It is now hoped that the work will begin by January next year.
What do you think of the plans? E mail firstname.lastname@example.org