Carnival brings Wells to a standstill
It was party time on the coast as Carnival Day drew what might well have been its biggest-ever crowd.
Thousands packed the streets along the parade route between the Buttlands and the Quay in perfect sunshine and a slight sea breeze.
Sirens from a fire engine and police 4x4 heralded the start of the procession - along with the thunder of 40 Harley Davidsons, a beat-perfect samba band and the theme to Ghostbusters.
Roads were grid-locked before the parade set off as Wells experienced its busiest day of the year.
Asked how many the event had drawn to the town, carnival committee chairman Pat Weston shrugged: “I’ve no idea - thousands and thousands. It’s awesome, it’s bigger than last year.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s just fantastic, the weather’s fantastic and the support we get from the town - it just gets bigger every year.”
Carnival Queen Angel Eaglen, who was an attendant for last year’s queen, said: “It’s bigger than last year. I’m really enjoying it, it’s something different to do.”
- 1 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 2 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 3 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 4 RNLI to add 5,000 more names to new lifeboat
- 5 Thursford pumpkin house opens for its fourth year
- 6 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 7 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 8 Property labelled a 'carbuncle' served urgent works notice
- 9 Application for eight new Fakenham homes is scrapped
- 10 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
Miss Eaglen, 19, is a member of Wells lifeboat crew. She will shortly be heading for Southampton to join the Merchant Navy as an engineer officer cadet.
Her senior attendants were Abbie Whitaker, Shannon Forshawand Cheyanne Forshaw. Her junior attendants were Amelia Ambrose, Charlie Bix, Adelaide Curtis and Keiron Duncan.
Don’t miss Thursday’s Fakenham & Wells Times for a special eight-page carnival picture special.