Classic cars replace horses at Fakenham event
Richard Parr Fakenham racecourse is more usually associated with fast-paced equine movements but this weekend it will be the location of a colourful cavalcade of classic cars.
Fakenham racecourse is more usually associated with fast-paced equine movements but next weekend it will be the location of a colourful cavalcade of classic cars.
This year is the 10th anniversary of Fakenham Auto Club and in celebration of its milestone, a festival of motoring is being held on Sunday at the venue on the edge of the town.
All proceeds will go to the Club's charity of the year, the Special Care Baby Appeal which is raising cash to extend and improve the facilities at the Neo-Natal unit at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn.
You may also want to watch:
The event, on August 23, will be open from 10am and run until 5pm and its centrepiece will be a display of around 150 classic cars from the 1930s to modern times. Featured will be a selection of famous marques including Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, Lotus, Aston Martin, Triumph and MG.
Club member Jack Richards, head of the well-known Fakenham-based local hauliers firm Jack Richards & Son, will be putting a selection of his vintage trucks on public display for the first time.
- 1 Covid outbreak factory's safety message to customers
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 6 Banksy-style doctor street art appears on shop front
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 9 Optician's lockdown eyesight health plea
- 10 'Sickened' car dealer watches thieves on CCTV
The luxury motoring trade suppliers, Jaguar, Mercedes and Land Rover will be bringing along some of their latest models.
There will be a range of motoring-related stalls from classic car hire, specialist upholsters, valet services, car maintenance, RAC and the Institute of Advanced motorists.
The 50 cars judged to be best in show will take part in a midday hour-long cavalcade around the town with a police escort.
All the day's activities will take place in and around the racecourse's Prince of Wales Stand where the barbeque and grill will be open all day for hot food and drink.
Displays will be given by the Hempton Majorettes and the Fakenham Fire Service. There will also be a tombola and grand draw with prizes generously donated by local sponsors.
Entrance charge is �1 for adults (children under 16 are admitted free) plus �1 for car for public car parking on site.