Cool Roxy Bar and jockeys’ facilities open at Fakenham Racecourse
- Credit: Ian Burt
A new owners’ and trainers’ bar at Fakenham Racecourse was officially opened by Cool Roxy, the horse it was named after.
The £370,000 development also includes a new jockeys’ facilities, weighing room and medical centre.
The medical room is to be called The Reinhold Jockeys’ Medical room after Fakenham’s long serving senior medical officer Dr Piers Reinhold and the owners’ and trainers’ bar is to be called the Cool Roxy Bar after Fakenham’s most prolific race-winning horse Cool Roxy.
“It has been a frantic few months to get this ready for the new season but with a hard work and dedication we have done it,” said Fakenham’s chief executive and clerk of the course, David Hunter.
“Everything worked well and was appreciated at our last meeting. We have made a few tweaks and are now ready for the official opening. It is fitting that the medical room is called after Piers as he has provided the most professional medical cover for the jockeys for many years from a very basic wooden hut.
You may also want to watch:
“The previous bar was woefully inadequate so it is a pleasure to provide a large, warm and comfortable place and it is totally appropriate for this room to be called after a horse that has set the record of the highest number of wins in Fakenham’s 110-year history. Cool Roxy, now a sprightly 19-year-old, is looked after by Emily Crossman.”
Owner Alan Blackmore, 87, said he was “very proud and humbled” to have the bar named after his horse.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 3 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 4 Vaccine volunteers thank businesses for 'undiluted' support
- 5 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 6 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 7 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 8 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 9 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 10 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn