Could you be new musical director of Fakenham Town Band?
- Credit: Submitted
The popular north Norfolk brass band finds itself, for the first time in nearly 30 years, in the position of seeking a leader, as the current MD, Paul Speed, will stand down at the band’s AGM at the end of January.
With a long history of music in Norfolk, the band continues to go from strength to strength, playing at fetes, church events, weddings, concerts and Remembrance parades.
The band has a core of players, many of whom have achieved considerable long service at Fakenham, who wish to build on their playing ability and reputation with a committed and enthusiastic conductor.
Fakenham Town Band was formed in 1881 by six men in a pub, and has grown from there. Rehearsals take place on Thursday nights at the Trap Lane Pavilion, with junior band rehearsals on Mondays.
The main band is of a 4th section standard, and new players would be welcomed to strengthen the line-up. The junior band welcomes players of all ages and abilities, from new beginners to those returning to banding. Free lessons are available, together with the loan of instruments. Weekly subscriptions are currently £1.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Wakefield, the band’s chairman and longest serving member, said: “This is an exciting new chapter for Fakenham Town Band. We have an opportunity for a musical director to come and join our busy band, building on our successes and taking us into the future with a new vision.”
Expressions of interest should be sent to Mr Wakefield by Sunday, Ferbuary 7, via e-mail to email@example.com.
- 1 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 2 Holiday lets look forwards to seeing 'happy faces' as lockdown eases
- 3 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 4 Town centre gets 'spring clean' ahead of high street re-opening
- 5 Owners of Pensthorpe pay tribute to patron Prince Philip
- 6 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 7 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 8 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 9 Covid drive-through testing centre opens in town car park
- 10 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye