Vandals smash planters two days after gallery reopens
- Credit: Andy Sullivan
The owner of a gallery and coffee shop has expressed his upset and anger after vandals smashed new plant pots two days after reopening.
A group of six vandals, captured on CCTV, were seen lifting a plant pot above their heads before smashing it on the ground outside Norski Noo's Gallery on Georges Road, Dereham at 8.45pm on Wednesday, April 13.
Two vandals returned to the courtyard, which owner Andy Sullivan had just expanded so customers could have coffee and cake outside from April 12, an hour and a half later to smash the remaining two planters.
Mr Sullivan, who moved the gallery from Bawdeswell to Dereham four years ago, said: "It's outrageous. You give people freedom and they go out, drink too much, and cause trouble.
"I came in yesterday [Thursday] first thing to take some photographs of the new outside area and as I was driving up I saw it and thought 'ah, flipping heck'.
"It's not the couple of hundred quid in value of them, it's just the aggravation and the unsightliness of it all."
At the end of October, the wall separating Norski Noo’s Gallery from the former Dads and Lads barbers was brought down creating one large gallery and coffee shop.
The owner also added picnic benches to the outside area and is planning to rebuild the wall that used to run alongside the premises to give it a "courtyard feel".
You may also want to watch:
"In these times people don't need this type of thing to be happening," Mr Sullivan said. "You're trying to struggle through putting extra money into making the place look appealing and people come along and do that, it's awful.
"I just want to ask them why? What pleasure do you get out of destroying other people's property?
- 1 Rescue drama as yacht cut adrift after losing power
- 2 North Norfolk brewery uses lockdown to create its strongest ever beer
- 3 Councillors back lido proposal but want more detailed plans
- 4 Firm making glass canaries to celebrate promotion doubles its stock
- 5 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Lib Dem leader quits in North
- 8 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 9 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
"Now we have just got to start again and come up with a different idea, maybe wooden pots that can't be smashed."
The CCTV footage has been passed to Norfolk Police, who have said enquiries are ongoing.