Concern as Covid test centre takes spaces away from shoppers
- Credit: Abigail Nicholson
Concerns have been raised after residents were left unable to park in a town's car park due to a testing centre taking up a quarter of the spaces.
The car park, which has 466 spaces, currently has a quarter of those spaces fenced off at the back to house a testing centre which is in operation twice a week during the day.
The back section of the car park, run by Breckland Council, remains sectioned off when the test centre is not in use.
The resident said: "I couldn't get into the car park because test and race are there, as you can only use the facility if you drive through, why not have it at the empty car park in front of Breckland's offices?
"Otherwise space for shoppers and workers in Dereham is being used up."
He added: "I'm all for people getting tested for Covid and I'm sure it hasn't been done deliberately.
"Sometimes things have unintended consequences potentially, we all need to be a bit patient at present."
Mr Clarke also said he was "concerned" people in the town who do not have a car, van or motorcycle would not be able to use the test centre.
He said: "I can't help but notice 21pc of people in my ward do not have a car.
"Of course it's good that the lateral flow weekly tests can be ordered or collected from pharmacies but the point still stands."
Since this article was published the Department of Health and Social Care has confirmed the mobile testing unit at the Cherry Tree offers both drive-in and pedestrian appointments every Tuesday and Saturday.
A spokesperson said: "It is one of 34 local walk-through test sites in the southeast and there are more than 520 operating across the UK.”
Breckland Council were approached for comment.
- 1 Rescue drama as yacht cut adrift after losing power
- 2 North Norfolk brewery uses lockdown to create its strongest ever beer
- 3 Councillors back lido proposal but want more detailed plans
- 4 Firm making glass canaries to celebrate promotion doubles its stock
- 5 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Lib Dem leader quits in North
- 8 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 9 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results