Inspirational families raise thousands for EACH at Holkham gala dinner
- Credit: Archant
Two inspirational families have thanked the community for their “incredible” support after raising thousands of pounds for a children’s hospice charity at a gala dinner.
The event at the Holkham Estate, near Wells, on Saturday raised more than £6,000 for the East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH).
It was organised by Nick Loades, from Colkirk, near Fakenham, whose daughter, Ellie, died after a brave battle with cystic fibrosis, in 2013, aged 16, and Kyra Welch, from North Creake, near Fakenham, who now lives in Holt, whose son Kaiden, five, has a terminal illness.
A total 170 people attended and it is estimated that around £6,100 has been raised to help support EACH’s ongoing services.
Both families say EACH has provided invaluable support for them in difficult times.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Loades, 50, said: “Ellie and Kyra were good friends and Ellie would be delighted to see all of this good work being done in her honour. It’s just sad she couldn’t be here to see it.
“It was absolutely amazing. The support we’ve had from the community has been incredible and Holkham have been amazing.
- 1 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
- 2 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 3 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 4 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 5 Inspectors praise Norfolk firefighters for help during Covid surge
- 6 Market town set for 'modest' council tax precept rise
- 7 'We are here for the children' - Headteacher backs EDP's laptop campaign
- 8 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 9 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 10 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
“I’m glad that Ellie and Kaiden have been able to inspire people in this way.
“Their stories are well known and really mean a lot to people.”
Miss Welch, 23, said it was the biggest fund-raising event she has been involved in.
She said: “I’ve never done anything like this and I was really nervous at the start of the night.
“I just thought it wasn’t going to work out, but it was a massive success and we’re so grateful to everyone who supported us.
“I’ve had ambitions to do this for a long time and it’s taken a whole year of planning to make it happen.
“I can’t thank everyone enough for their support.”
Mr Loades and Miss Welch have already started making plans to hold another fund-raising gala dinner at the Holkham Estate next year.
Mr Loades said: “People has such a good time, the dance floor was full all night, it was so great to see everyone enjoying themselves, so we’ve decided to do it again next year.”
Mr Loades is appealing for businesses to come forward to sponsor next year’s event.
For more information, call 07889 157895.