Man taken to hospital after fire destroys bungalow roof
- Credit: DENISE BRADLEY/Archant2021
A fire which broke out in a Norfolk village has destroyed a bungalow and caused one man to be taken to hospital.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue, along with police, were called to the scene of a bungalow fire in Cathedral Drive in North Elmham at 7.15pm on Saturday, April 24.
Units from Dereham, Reepham and Fakenham were called along with an aerial ladder platform.
Station manager Matthew Postle said: "Firefighters got straight to work and worked really hard to stop the fire from spreading to neighbouring properties.
"Two people were in the property when the fire began.
"They became aware of the fire almost right away and were able to escape and call 999."
He also confirmed that one of the people inside had been taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
- 1 Market town's Chamber of Trade set for relaunch
- 2 Kayaker found in pub after Wells lifeboat launched
- 3 Organiser humbled as 210 strong Land Rover convoy raises over £3,000
- 4 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 5 Do you remember these shocking scenes from floods of the past?
- 6 Are Fakenham businesses seeing an early rush for Christmas shopping?
- 7 Jerome Mayhew hosting Fakenham job fair
- 8 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 9 Film that highlight natural park conservation set to premiere
- 10 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
"They have our sympathies regarding the incident and we are working with them ahead of the next steps," he added.
Norfolk Police had originally warned people to keep windows and doors locked, but later added this is no longer necessary now the fire has been put out.
A pump will remain outside the bungalow overnight to monitor pockets of fire and make sure the scene is safe.
Most of the roof of the bungalow has been destroyed as firefighters continue to douse the building with water from above.
Some of the brickwork was visibly charred, while the front window was also black with smoke.
And the garage adjoined to the bungalow also appears to have been damaged in the fire.
A large amount of foam was left on the floor around the property after firefighters used it to help get the blaze under control.