Facebook group helps create Fakenham's answer to the Wombles
Ian Clarke They were Fakenham's answer to the Wombles!And a 24-strong group of community-minded litter pickers went to all corners of the town on Saturday to make the streets, parks and riverbanks cleaner in the first main event organised by the Kickstart Fakenham group.
They were Fakenham's answer to the Wombles!
A 24-strong group of community-minded litter pickers went to all corners of the town on Saturday to make the streets, parks and riverbanks cleaner in the first main event organised by the Kickstart Fakenham group.
Kickstart was launched as a Facebook group earlier this year by Rachel Seretny to make a positive impact on Fakenham following a range of bad news stories such as the row over the town sculpture and the closure of Woolworths and the Crown Hotel.
The Facebook group now has almost 450 members and a range of initiatives are being drawn up including a Big Lunch on July 19 as part of a national picnic day, band nights, rebranding the community centre, relaunching a carnival and bringing the Splash week for children back to Fakenham.
A total of 27 full bags of litter were collected in two hours with everything from disposable barbecues to a road sign found.
- 1 PICTURES: Household Cavalry enjoys annual trip to Holkham beach
- 2 WATCH: Car becomes engulfed in flames at side of Norfolk road
- 3 Business offers school uniform payment plan as living costs spiral
- 4 Plan for dog walking meadow prompts road safety fears
- 5 Mayor officially opens hotel 13 years after last stay
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 Eyesore trailers still towering over gardens one month on
- 8 Norfolk MP quits government role as prime minister clings to power
- 9 New film studio planned for Norfolk's former nuclear bomber base
- 10 Holiday cottage in Holkham Hall estate named among grandest in Britain
Miss Seretny said: "We have got so much planned and we wanted to make a green impact in the town."