Fakenham Christmas lights switch on 2019: Plans for this year’s event revealed
- Credit: Archant © 2004
Plans for this year’s Fakenham Christmas lights switch-on have been revealed.
The market town will welcome the return of the highly anticipated event after it was cancelled last year when no one came forward to organise it.
In response to residents wanting to see the town host the event, Fakenham Town Council clerk Linda Jennings stepped forward with deputy clerk Ann Kerrison, councillor Mark and his wife Sonja, along with volunteer Lorraine Potter to put on something special.
This year's switch-on, which usually brings hundreds of visitors to the town centre, will include a Christmas fayre with market stalls and a variety of food, drink and craft vendors.
There will also be stilt walkers and other entertainment, including Fakenham Town Band.
Ms Jennings said: "This event is in association with Fakenham Town Council and Fakenham Area Partnership, who provides the lights.
"We are also hoping that children from the infants and junior schools will take part in a lantern procession too.
- 1 Nurse relives crash drama as calls for road to be gritted grow
- 2 Main road through seaside town to close for five weeks
- 3 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 4 Fakenham firms keen to protect customers as rate of inflation soars
- 5 New special school opens doors to first students
- 6 Obituary: Farm merchant who helped save revered brewing barley dies aged 81
- 7 The Floods of 1953 in Norfolk: Remembering the heroes who helped
- 8 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 9 Canoeist Shaun chasing Paralympic dream after devastating bike crash
- 10 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
"And we mustn't forget that Father Christmas will be in his grotto in Sweets 'n' Things."
Organisers had decided that a fairground would be too expensive as the aim was to make the event as accessible as possible, while being family orientated.
In 2017, Fakenham resident and owner of Sweets 'n' Things, Lisa Mallett, took over the reigns of the event.
More than 1,000 people watched the lights switch on while enjoying fairground attractions and variety of stalls.
Fakenham Christmas lights switch-on and fayre will take place on Saturday, November 30, from 2pm to 6pm.
Also on the same week, the town's 19th Christmas Tree Festival will open on Thursday, November 28, and will see more than 50 charity trees display at the parish church on Oak Street. The event attracts more than 30,000 people every year.
- For more information about the Christmas lights switch on and fayre, contact Fakenham Town Council by emailing email@example.com or ringing 01328 853653.
- If you are organising a Christmas event this year, email reporter Donna-Louise Bishop at firstname.lastname@example.org with full event and contact details.