Fakenham cyclist reaches Snowdonia after 250-mile ride
- Credit: Justin Wakefield.
A Fakenham cyclist who pedalled from the market town to Snowdonia saw his ascent halted by bad weather.
Justin Wakefield cycled the 250 miles from Norfolk to Wales for mental health charity Mind, with hopes of climbing to the peak once he arrived on September 26.
But when he reached the foot of the mountain - soaked from the wet weather - he saw nothing but 900ft of thick fog and heavy downpours.
He said reaching the top would have been impossible given the visibility.
To make up for it, Mr Wakefield decided to instead cycle a further 70 miles, taking his total mileage to 320.
He also plans to return to Snowdon to scale it in a few months' time, again raising money for Mind.
“It was a very hard ride, very free and wild,” said Mr Wakefield, who has raised £280 for Mind.
“There was just so much to take in. It was like being at a big car boot sale - you didn't whether to look left or right, but I wanted to see everything."
- 1 Fakenham 2022 - What to expect for housing, retail, tourism and hospitality
- 2 Medals awarded to esteemed military man to go under the hammer
- 3 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 4 Council to sell land in 'Chelsea-on-Sea'
- 5 Award-winning Norfolk pizza restaurant launches frozen range
- 6 School heads reveal feeling of 'positivity' at start of term
- 7 Fresh grants for Omicron-hit firms announced
- 8 Dog bans could be extended at north Norfolk parks
- 9 Headteacher says 'good' Ofsted rating a testament to hard work
- 10 'It's time to decarbonise construction' - MP calls for regulation