Staff celebrate library’s 50th birthday with longest serving users
- Credit: Archant
A north Norfolk library’s 50th birthday has been marked with a special celebration involving staff and some of its longest serving users.
Fakenham Library’s birthday celebration included cake and live music and some of the library’s oldest recorded members, who signed up over 30 years ago when the system to record membership started, also attended.
Fakenham’s first library and reading room was established in the late 19th century and was housed in the Corn Exchange.
When the Corn Exchange was converted into a cinema in 1926, the library moved to what was then known as the Central School.
There were a few more moves until April 21, 1969, when the new, current library on Oak Street was opened.
You may also want to watch:
It was part of a council development of 2.5 acres and included the building of a youth centre, which is now the district and town council offices and community centre.
- 1 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
- 2 'It's a win/win' - Fakenham group to sell merchandise at The Larder
- 3 Pints, pups and haircuts - Dereham delight at April 12 reopening
- 4 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 5 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 6 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 7 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
- 8 Who are candidates to be Norfolk's new police and crime commissioner?
- 9 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 10 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait