Fakenham pharmacy manager Irene is off to Peru to climb the Inca Trail for Macmillan
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Pharmacy manager Irene Elton admits she would typically prefer to be relaxing with a drink and viewing a mountain from a safe distance than climbing one.
But the 49-year-old from Hempton, near Fakenham, is now preparing to take part in the most famous mountain trek in South America to raise thousands of pounds for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Irene, who works at Boots stores in Fakenham and Hunstanton, is training for a four-day, 27-mile walk of the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, in Peru.
Boots has supported Macmillan Cancer Support for five years.
Irene said: “I’ve never done anything like this. I’d always prefer to look at a mountain from afar with a relaxing drink, than climbing one, but I’ve signed up to it and will go through with it. This will be a very personal experience and I’m really looking forward to it.”
You may also want to watch:
Gallery Bistro in Fakenham is running fund-raising events for Mrs Elton. The first will be a quiz night on Friday, February 27. People should arrive at 7pm for a 7.30pm start.
Tickets, at £4 per person, are available from Gallery Bistro and Boots, Fakenham.
- 1 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
- 2 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 3 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 4 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 5 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
- 6 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
- 7 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 8 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 9 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 10 Free art classes from award-winning artist on offer
To sponsor Irene, follow the link below this story to her Justgiving page.