Fakenham pharmacy manager Irene is off to Peru to climb the Inca Trail for Macmillan
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Pharmacy manager Irene Elton admits she would typically prefer to be relaxing with a drink and viewing a mountain from a safe distance than climbing one.
But the 49-year-old from Hempton, near Fakenham, is now preparing to take part in the most famous mountain trek in South America to raise thousands of pounds for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Irene, who works at Boots stores in Fakenham and Hunstanton, is training for a four-day, 27-mile walk of the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, in Peru.
Boots has supported Macmillan Cancer Support for five years.
Irene said: “I’ve never done anything like this. I’d always prefer to look at a mountain from afar with a relaxing drink, than climbing one, but I’ve signed up to it and will go through with it. This will be a very personal experience and I’m really looking forward to it.”
Gallery Bistro in Fakenham is running fund-raising events for Mrs Elton. The first will be a quiz night on Friday, February 27. People should arrive at 7pm for a 7.30pm start.
Tickets, at £4 per person, are available from Gallery Bistro and Boots, Fakenham.
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 3 Hundreds of motors park up for classic vehicle day at Norfolk gardens
- 4 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 5 Plant Lovers' Day set to return at Creake Abbey
- 6 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast to pass over Norfolk
- 7 Fears home-building halt could delay huge Fakenham expansion
- 8 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 9 Ladies to take centre stage at Fakenham Races season finale
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
To sponsor Irene, follow the link below this story to her Justgiving page.