False alarm over toxic ‘palm oil’ sighted on north Norfolk beach
- Credit: Archant
Deposits found on a north Norfolk beach which were feared to be palm oil deposits toxic to dogs have turned out to be “nothing to worry about”.
The National Trust warned dog owners about palm oil being spotted washed up on Brancaster beach on Tuesday.
But yesterday, after the substance had been more closely examined, it turned out to be peat deposits which had “broken away”.
The Norfolk Coast National Trust said on Twitter on Wednesday: “Update: We have had the potential palm oil deposits on Brancaster Beach looked at and they are peat deposits that have broken away and are nothing to worry about.”
Palm oil deposits were found on several north Norfolk beaches earlier this year, and left some dogs critically ill.
At the time, Dr Andrew Turner, from the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science said: “Simple precautions should be followed to ensure that pets and people do not eat anything they find on the beach.”