Norfolk studio to rival Pinewood and Elstree after £5m investment
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk film studio could become the Pinewood of East Anglia after a £5m investment.
Raynham Hangar Studios is set for a major refurbishment and expansion programme to target the high-end TV and film market.
It means that top film and TV stars from across the globe could soon be welcomed in north Norfolk.
A three-year programme of improvements will include production offices, costume and make-up facilities, art department, and construction workshops, starting early next year.
The existing 50,000 sq ft studio space served as the base for Joanna Hogg's film The Souvenir in 2017, and production of The Souvenir Part 2 was completed there this summer.
You may also want to watch:
The main 45,000 sq ft hangar was used to build sets and also served as the main film school set for the film. Additional buildings on the base were used for other sets as well other locations within 40 minutes of the base.
Meanwhile, a 'village' of units are also being made available for TV and film-related business to locate at the former airbase.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 3 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 4 Vaccine volunteers thank businesses for 'undiluted' support
- 5 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 6 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 7 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 8 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 9 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 10 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn
Independent Grip, Dave Price Rigging, Norfolk Film Transport and Midas Generators are already committed to the project.
The site was acquired by a new private owner this year. The £5m investment includes the cost of acquiring the wider site.
Studio director Crispin Buxton said the aim was to create a sustainable and thriving production community in Norfolk.
The news comes at a time of huge demand for production spaces in the UK, driven by the high-end drama boom.
Mr Buxton said: "This is a very exciting addition to the UK studio landscape at a time when UK studio space is at a premium. It is also hugely significant for the production sector as a whole in Norfolk and East Anglia.
"The Studios, and production base/village offers a financially attractive and efficient production model as evidenced by the successful Souvenir."
His recent credits through his production services firm The Norfolk Film Company include Joanna Hogg's The Souvenir, Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis' Yesterday, Armando Iannucci's The Personal History of David Copperfield and BBC's 2018 Xmas ident Wonderland.
For more information visit https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/tech/raynham-hangar-studios-wins-5m-investment-to-expand/5145380.article