Firefighters tackle blaze at chip shop in Fakenham
- Credit: Archant
Emergency services have responded to a fire at a chip shop in the centre of Fakenham.
More than 30 firefighters were dispatched to Mr Chips on Bridge Street, Fakenham, shortly after 11am.
Workers were evacuated along with residents who live in a flat above the shop.
A spokesperson for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said that everyone is safe and the blaze appeared to have been the result of a fat fryer catching fire, but this will need to be confirmed by investigators.
Police were also called to the scene at around 11.15am to assist with traffic control and a spokesperson confirmed that Bridge Street is has been closed.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham resident James Clarke said: “Mr Chips is very burnt, the crew have been using hose reel jets and breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire. It is all internal but the fire and the smoke appears to have reached the flat above.”
He added that fire engines began leaving the scene at around 1.20pm.
- 1 Covid outbreak factory's safety message to customers
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 4 Optician's lockdown eyesight health plea
- 5 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 6 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 9 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 10 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
Julie Walsh, who works next door to the shop, said: “I work in Alan Hair Designs next to Mr Chips. At 11am I could see that the owners of the chip shop were frantically getting their animals out of the building.
“I could then see thick black smoke coming out of their back door then fire crews arrived shortly after.”