Firefighters tackle blaze at chip shop in Fakenham
- Credit: Archant
Emergency services have responded to a fire at a chip shop in the centre of Fakenham.
More than 30 firefighters were dispatched to Mr Chips on Bridge Street, Fakenham, shortly after 11am.
Workers were evacuated along with residents who live in a flat above the shop.
A spokesperson for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said that everyone is safe and the blaze appeared to have been the result of a fat fryer catching fire, but this will need to be confirmed by investigators.
Police were also called to the scene at around 11.15am to assist with traffic control and a spokesperson confirmed that Bridge Street is has been closed.
Fakenham resident James Clarke said: “Mr Chips is very burnt, the crew have been using hose reel jets and breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire. It is all internal but the fire and the smoke appears to have reached the flat above.”
He added that fire engines began leaving the scene at around 1.20pm.
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 3 Hundreds of motors park up for classic vehicle day at Norfolk gardens
- 4 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 5 Plant Lovers' Day set to return at Creake Abbey
- 6 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast to pass over Norfolk
- 7 Fears home-building halt could delay huge Fakenham expansion
- 8 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 9 Ladies to take centre stage at Fakenham Races season finale
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
Julie Walsh, who works next door to the shop, said: “I work in Alan Hair Designs next to Mr Chips. At 11am I could see that the owners of the chip shop were frantically getting their animals out of the building.
“I could then see thick black smoke coming out of their back door then fire crews arrived shortly after.”