Firefighters tackle blaze at chip shop in Fakenham
- Credit: Archant
Emergency services have responded to a fire at a chip shop in the centre of Fakenham.
More than 30 firefighters were dispatched to Mr Chips on Bridge Street, Fakenham, shortly after 11am.
Workers were evacuated along with residents who live in a flat above the shop.
A spokesperson for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said that everyone is safe and the blaze appeared to have been the result of a fat fryer catching fire, but this will need to be confirmed by investigators.
Police were also called to the scene at around 11.15am to assist with traffic control and a spokesperson confirmed that Bridge Street is has been closed.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham resident James Clarke said: “Mr Chips is very burnt, the crew have been using hose reel jets and breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire. It is all internal but the fire and the smoke appears to have reached the flat above.”
He added that fire engines began leaving the scene at around 1.20pm.
- 1 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 2 Last man alive to be born at country home celebrates 100th birthday
- 3 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 4 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn
- 5 Lifeboat launched to rescue broken down 30ft cruiser
- 6 Siblings united for pop-up selling burgers and ice cream on farm
- 7 Testing plea for visitors as holiday season heats up
- 8 Free lunch offer for mystery man who paid for woman's Lidl shopping
- 9 'He shouldn't be getting abuse' - Fakenham pubs react to landlord's vax stance
- 10 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
Julie Walsh, who works next door to the shop, said: “I work in Alan Hair Designs next to Mr Chips. At 11am I could see that the owners of the chip shop were frantically getting their animals out of the building.
“I could then see thick black smoke coming out of their back door then fire crews arrived shortly after.”