Firefighters tackle blaze at chip shop in Fakenham
- Credit: Archant
Emergency services have responded to a fire at a chip shop in the centre of Fakenham.
More than 30 firefighters were dispatched to Mr Chips on Bridge Street, Fakenham, shortly after 11am.
Workers were evacuated along with residents who live in a flat above the shop.
A spokesperson for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said that everyone is safe and the blaze appeared to have been the result of a fat fryer catching fire, but this will need to be confirmed by investigators.
Police were also called to the scene at around 11.15am to assist with traffic control and a spokesperson confirmed that Bridge Street is has been closed.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham resident James Clarke said: “Mr Chips is very burnt, the crew have been using hose reel jets and breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire. It is all internal but the fire and the smoke appears to have reached the flat above.”
He added that fire engines began leaving the scene at around 1.20pm.
- 1 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 2 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 3 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 4 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 5 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 6 Day of two halves - Footballer wins £80,000 and breaks leg in 24 hours
- 7 Stately home to host work by famous sculptor
- 8 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 9 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 10 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
Julie Walsh, who works next door to the shop, said: “I work in Alan Hair Designs next to Mr Chips. At 11am I could see that the owners of the chip shop were frantically getting their animals out of the building.
“I could then see thick black smoke coming out of their back door then fire crews arrived shortly after.”