Most people would have been put off by the inclement weather last Saturday.But not the residents of Colkirk, near Fakenham, who defied the elements, organising their “best gala day in the last nine years.
Most people would have been put off by the inclement weather last Saturday.
But not the residents of Colkirk, near Fakenham, who defied the elements, organising their “best gala day in the last nine years.”
Jenny Filby, speaking for Friends of Colkirk Village, believes the success was down to a
good mix of activities, stalls and competitions which she said attracted at least 400
You may also want to watch:
“There was a Gladiator Challenge, classic cars, children's fancy dress and races, a scarecrow festival, barbecue, cream teas, crossbows, bric-a-brac and uniquely this year, we had a bricklifting competition,” she said.
- 1 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 2 Day of two halves - Footballer wins £80,000 and breaks leg in 24 hours
- 3 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 4 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
- 5 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 6 Woman left with 'serious back injuries' after pub fight
- 7 Hairdressers excited to reopen salon and welcome back clients
- 8 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
- 9 Park-and-ride scheme plan for busy seaside towns
- 10 'It's a win/win' - Fakenham group to sell merchandise at The Larder
“Most of the stalls sold out within the first hour. We were slightly worried because of the weather when the gala day opened at
“But shortly after that, it began to clear up and people were streaming in.”
“I believe we raised between £1,500 and £2,000 which will be pumped back into the community.
“Each group that took part will get between £150 and £200. If there is any money left it will be used for village projects. For example a few years ago there was a need for a lawn mower and we gave £200 towards the purchase of the equipment.
“It was the best gala day we've had since it was established nine years ago.”