Yeh Yeh! Headline act for the sixth Dereham Blues Festival is revealed
- Credit: Doreen Aitken
An icon of the British music scene has been announced as the headline act for this year's Dereham Blues Festival.
Georgie Fame will play the opening numbers on Thursday, July 12 at the Dereham Memorial Hall after organisers spent months negotiating his booking.
With his much loved blend of jazz and rhythm and blues, Fame has consistently worked in the highest musical circles with a career spanning more than 20 albums and 14 hit singles, including the number ones Yeh Yeh, Get Away and The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde.
Add to this a long list of collaborations with some of music's most famous names including Muddy Waters, Gene Vincent, Bill Wyman, Eric Clapton and Van Morrison, and you have a bona fide music legend.
The Festival's opening concert is organised by the volunteer group Friends of Dereham Memorial Hall. Chairman Tim Cara said: 'It is a tremendous boost to Dereham and the Festival to have once again such a top headlining act playing here.
You may also want to watch:
'We've been negotiating ever since August to book Georgie. With his commitments all around the world, it has taken a while to sort out the details, but he says how much he is looking forward to supporting the Dereham Blues Festival.
'This really shows how far the Festival and the venue have come in such a short time.'
- 1 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 2 Crews called to blaze on boat in Wells Harbour
- 3 Owners turn former deli into concierge business
- 4 Sports centre hoping to shake 'hidden gem' tag
- 5 Vital Fakenham charity secures future and gets back to business
- 6 Plans could see office transformed into tattoo parlour
- 7 Friends rescue baby barn owl who fell from tree
- 8 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 9 Your say - Has Bond tempted you back to the cinema?
- 10 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
Over the Dereham Blues Festival weekend, from July 12 to 15, several thousand visiting fans come to Dereham to see and hear top quality blues acts drawn locally from East Anglia as well as from all over the UK playing in town centre bars, clubs and other venues including the heritage railway station.
Apart from the opening concert, entry to all the venues hosting bands is free throughout the weekend.
Chairman of the festival Harry Collins said: 'The Dereham Blues Festival, now in its sixth year, keeps on growing from strength to strength and is emerging as one of the go-to events on the UK blues and roots calendar.'
Tickets will go on sale from January 24 from www.ticketsource.co.uk/FoDMH priced £28. The headline sponsor is Busseys of Norfolk, main sponsor is Stephenson Smart and Orchard Caravans is the business sponsor.
To apply to play at the festival go to the website www.derehambluesfestival.org.uk.