Fakenham to go quackers for town’s Grand Duck Race 2019
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2019
The beautiful river Wensum will be the backdrop for this year’s Great Fakenham Duck Race.
Just minutes from the north Norfolk market town’s centre, the event will see plastic ducks go head-to-head in three different races.
As well as the Great Duck Race, there will also be the Fakenham Raft Race and the Super Corporate Duck Race for local businesses.
The races are being organised by a new partnership between Active Fakenham and the Rotary Club of Fakenham and District. While the raft race is in partnership with Fakenham’s Osprey Canoe Club.
Richard Crook, from Active Fakenham, said: “The team is very excited to be working with the rotary club and we are looking forward to the races which should be a lot of fun.
You may also want to watch:
“It is the first time we have worked so closely with the rotary club which does such a great job and brings a lot to Active Fakenham and our community.
“It is another chance for local businesses to work with the community and showcase their wares.”
- 1 Proposal could see eight new homes built in Fakenham
- 2 Historic pub seeking new licence despite neighbour concerns
- 3 'We will not be deterred' - Allotment user building group following vandals
- 4 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 5 Fundraisers come out swinging at charity golf day
- 6 A real quacker! Town comes together for popular riverside day
- 7 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 8 'Ticks all the boxes' - Why The Crown in Reepham has the perfect pub vibe
- 9 Pillboxes feature in exhibition coming to Wells
- 10 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
Businesses will be able to buy large plastic ducks and decorate them for the race. The funds raised will go towards activities in the town and to support local charities.
Rotarian Brenda Parcell said: “At this time, when the rotary club is attracting new members, we are enjoying our hands on involvement in the town with Active Fakenham.
“Local businesses are readily supporting Active Fakenham and our town by purchasing large yellow ducks from us, which they will decorate, and enter into the Super Corporate Duck Race. Rotarians and friends will be selling tickets for smaller yellow ducks on the day.
“It’s great to see and to be part of this community spirit.”
People are invited to bring a picnic to the field adjacent to the Goggs Mill Road bridge where there will be food, stalls, face painting, ice cream, activities and music in Busker’s Corner.
The event is free to attend and runs from 10.30am - 2pm on Sunday June 2.
Free parking will be available at Becks Field and there will also be other parking in the town.