Have your say on 20mph proposals for Wells
Chris Hill The Times is giving its readers the chance to voice opinions on a proposal to introduce a blanket 20mph speed restriction in Wells.At a meeting on Monday night, Wells Town Council agreed to delay a decision about whether to ask county highways chiefs to lower speed limits throughout the town.
The Times is giving its readers the chance to voice opinions on a proposal to introduce a blanket 20mph speed restriction in Wells.
At a meeting on Monday night, Wells Town Council agreed to delay a decision about whether to ask county highways chiefs to lower speed limits throughout the town.
Campbell MacCallum, the council's portfolio holder for traffic, said the idea was the most effective way to preserve the town's favourable accident record and maintain the safety of visitors and residents.
You may also want to watch:
But one of the scheme's opponents, councillor Ray Hewitt, said the scheme was unnecessary and those who might be affected by any changes had not been given a chance to make their feelings known.
The council agreed to gauge public opinion through a “town referendum” before discussing the matter again next month.
- 1 Cambridge students get Fakenham question wrong on University Challenge
- 2 New owners of market town café want to keep everything local
- 3 Organiser humbled as 210 strong Land Rover convoy raises over £3,000
- 4 Kayaker found in pub after Wells lifeboat launched
- 5 Business owner feared heart scare would see dream shop opening dashed
- 6 Market town's Chamber of Trade set for relaunch
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 9 Are Fakenham businesses seeing an early rush for Christmas shopping?
- 10 Film that highlight natural park conservation set to premiere
You can register your views by completing the online poll on our homepage, which will be collated and given to the town clerk before councillors make their decision.
For the full story, see this week's Fakenham and Wells Times.