Norfolk has country's best Covid vaccination rate for first doses
- Credit: Ian Burt
Norfolk and Waveney has the best Covid vaccination rate in the country when it comes to giving out first doses, new figures have revealed.
Four out of every five adults in the area - or 80.3pc of the population - have now had at least one coronavirus jab.
Fresh data published by NHS England on Thursday showed 684,267 people have attended appointments so far.
It means that, out of 42 health systems across the nation, Norfolk and Waveney Health and Care Partnership tops the pile for the first time since the programme began in December.
During the latest seven-day period, up to June 6, another 15,662 people went for a vaccine for the very first time.
In close second is Somerset, which has been leading the way for several weeks and whose first dose vaccination rate stands at 80.2pc.
Earlier this week, those aged 25 to 29 became eligible to book appointments via the NHS' national system.
The government has previously said its aim is for everyone to have been offered at least one vaccine by the end of July.
- 1 Councillor says West Norfolk could 'stagnate' without Western Link
- 2 'Wouldn't change it for the world' - Barber and salon owners reflect on first year
- 3 'You have to give it a shot' - Fakenham businesses look to post-Covid world
- 4 Fakenham Figures: Owner of Get Smart on why she loves the town
- 5 Tributes paid to woman who was her village's heartbeat
- 6 'A soft spot for it' - Owner of WaffleOpolis coming back to Fakenham
- 7 Boy, 13, praised after rescuing railway sign from river
- 8 'You're muted!' - How lockdown changed everything for our town
- 9 Your Say - What Covid measures would you keep after June 21?
- 10 Concerns as Delta variant fuels rise in Norfolk Covid cases
Melanie Craig, chief executive of Norfolk and Waveney Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), which has been leading the local rollout, again urged everyone to take up the opportunity.
She added: “Getting the life-saving Covid-19 jab is the most important thing you can do to safeguard yourself and those you care about.
"It’s really important we keep the enthusiasm and momentum going so, if you’re over 25, get your jab booked in."
A further significant milestone has also been reached in Norfolk and Waveney, with three out of five adults now having received both shots.
A total of 512,478 patients, or 60.2pc of the population, are now fully vaccinated after another 40,184 went for jabs in the latest week.
In all, 1,196,745 Covid vaccines have been administered in Norfolk and Waveney.
Between May 31 and June 6 a total of 55,846 injections were given out, a decline on last week's figure of 66,306.
In terms of more specific areas, East Suffolk (81.5pc), North Norfolk (80.7pc) and Broadland (79.8pc) feature in the top 10 local authorities across the country for first dose vaccination rate.
Moreover, North Norfolk has the nation's third-best vaccination rate for second doses (63.9pc).
It does, however, have one of England's oldest populations.