Major cash contribution will help deliver over 160 affordable homes
- Credit: NNDC.
A major injection of cash from a district council will allow more than 100 affordable homes to be built.
North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) announced plans to contribute £900,000 to infrastructure works for the Fakenham Urban Extension at last month's budget meeting. This will allow them to include at least 166 affordable homes in the development.
A spokesman for NNDC said the construction of the roundabout on the A148 commencing in Autumn 2022 will allow the affordable homes to reach this number, as the construction reduces ‘development risk’ and will help much-needed homes get built.
The spokesperson added: "The minimum amount of affordable home we currently expect the project to return is 17.5pc of the total 950, which is 166 affordable homes. However, there are review mechanisms in place and this could potentially increase."
The town council recently objected to plans to build affordable homes on the Highfield Road carpark, and say following this news there “should be no need” for them.
John Toye, portfolio holder for planning and enforcement, said: “By taking on the development of the important infrastructure of the roundabout, North Norfolk District Council will help ensure the development goes ahead with an increase in the number of affordable homes that will be provided on the site.”
Christopher Cushing, NNDC councillor for Fakenham North ward, has also announced plans to lobby Norfolk County Council for additional homes: “I am pleased that the urban extension will deliver 166 affordable homes for which there is a great need in the town.
“In addition, I will lobby the county council to deliver the maximum number possible of affordable homes on the former Grammar School site when it is developed.”
- 1 From pot washer to head chef: 17-year-old's remarkable rise to the top
- 2 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 3 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 4 Woman, 78, caught drink driving after G&T
- 5 Funeral for town's lifelong resident made MBE for six decades of service
- 6 Plans for jubilee celebrations in Wells revealed
- 7 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 8 Weekend festival set to celebrate maritime history
- 9 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 10 MP Duncan Baker points finger at civil service over Partygate
A spokesperson for Fakenham Town Council said: “We welcome the provision of badly needed affordable housing as part of the northern development.
“By committing to providing at least 17.5pc on the northern development, there should be no need for NNDC to further consider building 27 affordable homes on the Highfield Road car park.
"Such development would deny existing residents with no off-street parking facilities from having a safe place to park overnight.”