Plans released for new roundabout at accident blackspot
- Credit: Google Maps
Detailed plans have been released for a roundabout at one of the region’s accident blackspots.
And people are being asked for their views on the scheme at the Dereham Road crossroads at Hempton, near Fakenham.
Proposals published on May 17 by Norfolk County Council reveal the potential new layout of the junction which would see the current crossroads replaced with a new roundabout, and new and improved paths and crossings for pedestrians.
Figures from the council show there have been 13 injury accidents at this location over the last 10 years.
Tom FitzPatrick, Norfolk county councillor for the area, has been lobbying for a roundabout for a number of years.
You may also want to watch:
“The straight stretch of road seems to encourage speeding and far too many collisions,” he said.
“Preventing accidents with all the impacts they can have on both the casualties and their families has to be a high priority and I welcome the chance to improve things at this junction.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 3 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 4 A real quacker! Town comes together for popular riverside day
- 5 Two fisherman saved from boat taking on water
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Fakenham shop to host Macmillan Coffee Morning
- 8 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 9 Investigation into rape at disused rail track closed
- 10 Historic pub seeking new licence despite neighbour concerns
“The consultation gives everyone a chance to have their say on the proposals.”
The proposal is for a new four-armed roundabout to replace the crossroads. The works would include:
- A roundabout immediately northeast of the existing junction
- Pedestrian crossings on the south-west and south-east arms of the roundabout, and new signs on the approach to the roundabout
- Improvements to the bus stop layby on Dereham Road towards Fakenham
- Realignment of the C550 Dereham Road to join the roundabout
A spokesperson for Hempton Parish Council said: "We need to have a discussion to formally agree on our position and the consultation has only just landed on us.
"The proposal has been suggested in the past but this is the first time responding to it officially. The council's position needs to be decided on, but we haven’t had the opportunity to discuss this yet."
If approved, it is likely that work would start in 2022.
To see the plans and fill in the short survey sharing your views by June 6, visit: www.norfolk.gov.uk/hempton
People can also request a hard copy, or another format, by calling Norfolk County Council on 0344 800 8020.