Study for swimming pool in Fakenham included in council's bid
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2012
A study that looks into whether an indoor swimming pool could be built in a market town is included in a council's funding bid.
Fakenham Town Council is working with North Norfolk District Council on a bid for funding from the government's UK Community Renewal Fund.
A spokesperson from the district council said: “The local community’s wish for a feasibility study for a swimming pool to be provided in the town has again been raised.
"Funding for such a study will form part of the bid to be submitted to the county council later this month and hopefully the Government in June.”
The news comes after an email was sent on by Rob Timson, who approached the town council regarding his desire to see a pool in Fakenham.
You may also want to watch:
“I've written previously to Henry Bellingham about the urgent need for Fakenham to have a swimming pool,” he said.
“As a deprived area, Fakenham needs people learning to swim and to exercise, rather than having any further fast food outlets established.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 3 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 4 A real quacker! Town comes together for popular riverside day
- 5 Two fisherman saved from boat taking on water
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Fakenham shop to host Macmillan Coffee Morning
- 8 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 9 Investigation into rape at disused rail track closed
- 10 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
"We live near the coast, our children need to learn how to swim and we are depriving a vast area of Norfolk of doing so. I don't care whether it's an indoor or an outdoor pool."
NNDC said there was not a promise to finance the pool.
“It is important to emphasise that there is no commitment from the district council or other organisations such as Sport England to finance the provision of a swimming pool in Fakenham at this time.
"Only that support exists for a feasibility study for such a facility to be included in the UK Community Renewal Fund bid which is being developed for the town.”
It comes after Active Fakenham announced its own plans for a feasibility study to be carried out on the pool idea.
A steering group, including councillors, businesses and the community was formed for The Community Renewal Fund bid.
The group is working on proposals and spoke of other potential projects it could lead to, including repairing riverway footpaths and a healthy eating campaign.