Study for swimming pool in Fakenham included in council's bid
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2012
A study that looks into whether an indoor swimming pool could be built in a market town is included in a council's funding bid.
Fakenham Town Council is working with North Norfolk District Council on a bid for funding from the government's UK Community Renewal Fund.
A spokesperson from the district council said: “The local community’s wish for a feasibility study for a swimming pool to be provided in the town has again been raised.
"Funding for such a study will form part of the bid to be submitted to the county council later this month and hopefully the Government in June.”
The news comes after an email was sent on by Rob Timson, who approached the town council regarding his desire to see a pool in Fakenham.
You may also want to watch:
“I've written previously to Henry Bellingham about the urgent need for Fakenham to have a swimming pool,” he said.
“As a deprived area, Fakenham needs people learning to swim and to exercise, rather than having any further fast food outlets established.
- 1 Councillor says West Norfolk could 'stagnate' without Western Link
- 2 'Wouldn't change it for the world' - Barber and salon owners reflect on first year
- 3 'You have to give it a shot' - Fakenham businesses look to post-Covid world
- 4 Tributes paid to woman who was her village's heartbeat
- 5 'A soft spot for it' - Owner of WaffleOpolis coming back to Fakenham
- 6 Fakenham Figures: Owner of Get Smart on why she loves the town
- 7 Boy, 13, praised after rescuing railway sign from river
- 8 Concerns as Delta variant fuels rise in Norfolk Covid cases
- 9 'You're muted!' - How lockdown changed everything for our town
- 10 Your Say - What Covid measures would you keep after June 21?
"We live near the coast, our children need to learn how to swim and we are depriving a vast area of Norfolk of doing so. I don't care whether it's an indoor or an outdoor pool."
NNDC said there was not a promise to finance the pool.
“It is important to emphasise that there is no commitment from the district council or other organisations such as Sport England to finance the provision of a swimming pool in Fakenham at this time.
"Only that support exists for a feasibility study for such a facility to be included in the UK Community Renewal Fund bid which is being developed for the town.”
It comes after Active Fakenham announced its own plans for a feasibility study to be carried out on the pool idea.
A steering group, including councillors, businesses and the community was formed for The Community Renewal Fund bid.
The group is working on proposals and spoke of other potential projects it could lead to, including repairing riverway footpaths and a healthy eating campaign.