Council leader Andrew Proctor: future decisions on waste charges will be made based on evidence
PUBLISHED: 08:46 04 July 2018 | UPDATED: 12:44 04 July 2018
There is concern that newly introduced DIY waste charges at Norfolk’s recycling centre will cause more fly-tipping in the future.
Norfolk County Council’s new leader Andrew Proctor said any future decisions on DIY waste charges will be based on evidence.
His comments follow concern that newly introduced charges at Norfolk’s recycling centres will cause more fly-tipping in the future.
The amount of waste dumped over the same period also fell by 30pc.
Meanwhile, fly tipping across Norfolk increased by 24pc to 1,158 in April 2018.
Mr Proctor said: “It is important to look closely and see what the facts and figures over a period of time are telling us.
“We’ll be doing just this and as with any issue if decisions have to be made we will make them based on evidence.”
In regard to fly-tipping, he said the increase was no “surprise” as it mirrored a rising trend nationally.
He said: “We’ve heard loud and clear that people hate to see fly-tipping and we do too. So we’ve been looking closely at the data we have so far on the types and amounts of waste illegally dumped in Norfolk over the past months.
“Early indications show that a rise in April was not down to lots more DIY waste being fly-tipped. In fact the amount of construction and demolition type DIY waste that was illegally dumped in April stayed more or less the same as in the previous months.”
• We initially reported that Andrew Proctor did not comment on this issue. This is because Norfolk County Council’s press office did not email over his comment until after the story was published today (July 4).
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Fakenham and Wells Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.