Spate of chimney fires as households light up in cooler weather
PUBLISHED: 11:59 14 April 2019 | UPDATED: 15:21 14 April 2019
Fire crews have been called to deal with a spate of chimney fires this weekend as households return to lighting their fires amid the unseasonably cool temperatures.
Norfolk Fire Service received call-outs to four chimneys that had caught fire on Saturday.
At 12.30pm a fire crew from Diss were called to a property on Mill Road in Winfarthing and used specialist chimney equipment to extinguish the fire.
Attleborough firefighters dealt with a chimney fire in Mile Road near Bunwell at 1.20pm; while an appliance from Carrow attended a chimney fire on Norwich Road in Mulbarton at 5.50pm.
One appliance from Dereham also attended a chimney fire on Peaseland Green in Elsing at 9pm. Firefighters used chimney equipment and a thermal image camera to extinguish the blaze.
Meanwhile a Suffolk fire crew from Mildenhall were also called to a chimney on fire at Mildenhall Road at Barton Mills at 4.30pm.
On Sunday, a crew from Dereham attended another incident in Bintree, between Dereham and Fakenham, and used chimney equipment to extinguish the fire at around 2:30pm.
Chimney fires are usually started when high temperatures or flames extend into the outlet or flue and combustible deposits catch light.
NORFOLK CHIMNEY FIRE SAFETY ADVICE
• Ensure your chimney is swept regularly: at least once a year for smokeless fuels; at least twice a year for Bitumous coal; once a year for oil/gas; quarterly when in use for wood.
• Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.
• Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house.
• Ensure good quality fuel is used.
• Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks.
• After a chimney fire, a certified sweep should perform a thorough inspection before the chimney is used again.