North Norfolk 'cleanest part of country'
Streets had an extra sparkle across North Norfolk as the district basked in spring sunshine - and the glory of being named the cleanest part of the country.
STREETS had an extra sparkle across North Norfolk as the district basked in spring sunshine - and the glory of being named the cleanest part of the country.
The area won the overall national award at the Clean Britain Awards - providing a big pat on the back for the council team which battles the tide of litter, dog mess, chewing gum and fly-tipping.
But as officials paraded an FA Cup-sized trophy in some spotless seafront gardens, they said it was also a reminder that everyone had a role to play in keeping the area clean.
The biggest scourge on the streets was not chip trays or cigarette ends, but "the people who don't dispose of them properly," said Nick Baker, North Norfolk District Council's strategic director for the environment.
You may also want to watch:
Without them, the council would not have to spend �650,000 a year employing an army of people to clean up the streets.
"If you leave a bit of litter in a layby, it can escalate to a dumped fridge and abandoned vehicle," he said.
- 1 Historic pub seeking new licence despite neighbour concerns
- 2 A real quacker! Town comes together for popular riverside day
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 'We will not be deterred' - Allotment user building group following vandals
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 8 Two fisherman saved from boat taking on water
- 9 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 10 Investigation into rape at disused rail track closed
But Clean Britain judges were impressed with North Norfolk when they visited the area on a snap visit - awarding the
area the award for the top district council and the overall prize.
They said driving around the area was "a real pleasure" because of the cleanliness and that "visitors could not fail to be impressed".
For full results visit email@example.com