Artwork by young ‘water warriors’ to go on show at annual Wild About the Wensum event
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk conservation trust has recruited an army of young ‘water warriors’ to create paintings, short stories and poems, which will go on show at an annual family day aimed at highlighting the importance of the River Wensum to the local landscape.
Pensthorpe Natural Park, near Fakenham, which will be hosting its 13th annual Wild About the Wensum event on May 12, has challenged local school children to produce artwork depicting the importance of water to people and wildlife.
The winner, who will be presented with a class visit to Pensthorpe, will be announced at the popular event, which, with a whole host of attractions for all the family, this year promises to be bigger and better than ever.
Local wildlife groups and nature charities including the Norfolk Wildlife Trust, the Wensum Alliance and the Norfolk Rivers Trust will be in attendance, with visitors of all ages given a chance to follow a special trail, see a new wetland bird hide and try hands-on nature activities.
Anglian Water, which is working with Pensthorpe and the Upper Wensum Cluster Farm Group towards improving water quality, will also be displaying a series of unique sculptures of riverside wildlife which have been created by renowned artist Ptolemy Elrington from shopping trolleys pulled from rivers.
You may also want to watch:
Pensthorpe Natural Park owner Deb Jordan said Wild About the Wensum gave families a chance to embrace nature together and learn about the river and the wildlife it supports.
"It is always a real highlight in our events calendar," she added. "I'm looking forward to seeing what the school children have come up with for our water-themed art competition and what ideas they have for preserving and effectively managing this precious resource."
- 1 Chocolate factory gets coronavirus cases down to two following outbreak
- 2 Medal of US airman who saved 18 lives in 1953 floods returns to Norfolk
- 3 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 4 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 5 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 6 Every Child Online: Funds flood in to schemes around the county
- 7 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 8 'A deserved hoorah!' - Thanks pour in for practice's Covid vaccine rollout
- 9 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 10 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
Wild About the Wensum runs at Pensthorpe Natural Park, NR21 0LN, from 10am-5pm on May 12. Admission is at a reduced rate of £3 per person (under 3s free), with a £2 per child charge for access to Hootz House play area. Pensthorpe explorer tours (price £2.50) will be running at intervals throughout the day. For more information and tickets, visit pensthorpe.com or phone 01328 851465.