Two people rescued after dinghy capsized off coast
- Credit: Archant
Two people were rescued after a dinghy capsized at the entrance to Burnham Overy Staithe harbour in north Norfolk.
Humber Coastguard paged Wells Lifeboat to reports that a dinghy with two persons onboard had capsized and was in difficulties being towed by a support craft.
The inshore lifeboat was paged at 9.35am on Saturday, March 14 and launched outside the boathouse and proceeded directly to the harbour.
A spokesman for Wells lifeboat said: 'On arrival, the lifeboat took the two persons onboard and placed a member of the lifeboat crew on board the dinghy, which was heavily waterlogged and barely floating above the water level.
'The lifeboat commenced the tow back to Burnham Overy Staithe. The tide was starting to ebb fast and, with the boat heavily laden with water, this made progress difficult.
You may also want to watch:
'It was decided to leave the boat on the adjacent beach and take the casualties to the staithe as they were starting to become very cold. The lifeboat landed the casualties safely into the care of the waiting coastguards who took them back to their local accommodation.
'The lifeboat then returned to the dinghy, which was well up the beach on the ebbing tide, and the crew bailed it out and secured it with an anchor for recovery on the following morning's high tide. With the dinghy securely anchored, the lifeboat left the scene and returned to the Wells boathouse, arriving at 11.55am.'
- 1 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in Fakenham litter pick
- 2 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
- 3 'Proud as punch' - Sports centre delighted with renovations
- 4 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 5 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 6 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 7 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 8 Nelson's church to feature concerts spanning Bach to Beyoncé
- 9 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 10 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases