Rare fish found
A RARE fish has been washed up on the Norfolk coast for only the second time on record.The Cornish Blackfish was spotted by father and son fishmongers at Overstrand on Boxing Day.
A RARE fish has been washed up on the Norfolk coast for only the second time on record.
The Cornish Blackfish was spotted by father and son fishmongers at Overstrand on Boxing Day.
And when the pair could not identify it they took it to the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science, which last week revealed not only the species but that this is only the second time the deep sea subtropical fish has been found in Norfolk.
David Bunning, who owns Mid-Norfolk Smokehouse at Cranworth, said: “We saw a lot of seagulls were attacking something so went to investigate. That was when we saw the fish still alive.
You may also want to watch:
“We couldn't recognise it and as me and my dad George have more than 70 years dealing with fish we knew it must be rare.
“So we froze it and took it to be examined. We were surprised when we found out what it was.
- 1 Property labelled a 'carbuncle' served urgent works notice
- 2 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 3 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 4 World War One commemorative statue stolen
- 5 Application for eight new Fakenham homes is scrapped
- 6 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 7 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod
- 8 Vital Fakenham charity secures future and gets back to business
- 9 Fakenham's Salvation Army forms two new groups
- 10 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
“A family of fishmongers walk along the beach and comes across a fish they don't know.
“It's a one in a million chance. It shows you how global warming is affecting the sea.”
Now the fish has become a minor local celebrity with fishmongers across the county desperate to catch a glimpse.
And it is even being featured in a talk in Lowestoft, but after that lies a more unglamorous fate. Mr Bunning said: “I doubt you could eat it so unless I think of another idea I'll probably just stick it back in the freezer.”