Club celebrates 60 years of helping people on its doorstep and around the globe
- Credit: Archant
For six decades, a dedicated group of volunteers has supported local and international project from around the globe.
And now the Rotary Club of Fakenham and District is getting ready to help dozens more as it celebrates its 60th anniversary.
Its membership chair, Gordon Turner, hoped to increase membership ahead of the club's impressive milestone.
He said: "The club is part of a worldwide organisation and has embarked on a programme of membership recruitment and ways to work with other local organisations such as Fakenham Academy, the town council, and Active Fakenham to create more public awareness of what it is we do.
"The club has achieved so much in the past and we want to continue the support that it has given to many organisations over the years."
You may also want to watch:
Founded in May 1959, its membership is open to anyone from all walks of life. The club currently has around 15 members and is encouraging more people to come forward.
It meets most Wednesdays at the Gallow Sports Centre in Fakenham to discuss ways of fundraising and supporting on-going projects. The group also hosts guest speakers on a variety of informative and topical subjects.
- 1 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 2 Fakenham manager calls on town to support team from afar in FA Vase clash
- 3 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 4 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 5 Vandals smash planters two days after gallery reopens
- 6 Fakenham announce how fans can watch FA vase match
- 7 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 8 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 9 Retiring judge lifts lid on career and says Norwich 'best' resident job
- 10 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
Member Brenda Parcell is also the youth project liaison person.
She said: "It's a really fun thing in the community and people who come here know they can enjoy it."
Recent events the club has been involve with includes the town's charity duck race, a concert by the Marham Bluebirds Military Wives' Choir and Fakenham Academy Big Band, a golf day, quiz nights, Fakenham Christmas Tree Festival and lights switch-on.
Locally the group has supported causes such as Whizz Kids, East Anglian Air Ambulance, First Focus, and Fakenham parish church. They have also bought a defibrillator for Stanfield village, while further afield it has helped flooded areas of England and Scotland, Ebola relief, Lend with Care, and End Polio Now.
It has also bought three shelter boxes to support communities around the world following disasters.
- To become a member or to find out more about Rotary Club of Fakenham and District email email@example.com or visit the website .