Slimmers donate nearly £6,000 worth of clothes which no longer fit them to cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Slimmers in north Norfolk have donated almost £6,000 worth of their old, larger clothes which no longer fit them to a cancer charity.
Slimming World groups in Fakenham and Briston donated a combined 194 bags of clothes, as well as shoes, homeware and accessories as part of the Big Golden Slimming World Clothes Throw.
The bags, worth £5,820, will be donated to local Cancer Research UK shops as part of the national fundraising campaign, which this year goes gold as Slimming World celebrates its 50th birthday year.
Each of the filled bags is worth around £25 to the charity and this year’s campaign is aiming to beat the total raised in 2018, which was £3 million in just two weeks.
The campaign also aims to raise awareness of how keeping a healthy weight can reduce the risk of developing some types of cancer.
You may also want to watch:
Hollie Webb, who runs the groups, said: “Seeing members donate their too big clothes is just the cherry on top for me as a consultant.
“What I find so special is seeing members transform before my eyes as they lose weight. They don’t believe they could ever lose the weight they dream of losing.
- 1 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in Fakenham litter pick
- 2 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
- 3 'Proud as punch' - Sports centre delighted with renovations
- 4 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 5 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 6 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 7 Nelson's church to feature concerts spanning Bach to Beyoncé
- 8 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 9 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
- 10 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
“I’m so proud of my members and their efforts. They really do put their heart into everything they do.”
As part of the Big Golden Slimming World Clothes Throw, anyone who finds a special golden bag is in with a chance to win a VIP shopping and makeover experience, with the Briston and Fakenham groups finding two.
Ms Webb added: “I can’t quite believe how many bags we managed to collect and the fact we found some gold ones too. I can’t wait to see if any of my members are winners.
“Hopefully this campaign and our efforts for charity will help inspire more people in the area to improve their health and change their lives by losing weight too.
The Fakenham group runs every Saturday at 7.30am, 9.30am and 11.30am at Fakenham Community Centre and the Briston group at 5.30pm and 7.30pm every Tuesday at Briston Pavilion.