Sponsored run at Holkham will raise funds for Heritage House day care centre, at Wells
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A sponsored run in Holkham Park next week will help raise money for activities for elderly people at a busy day care centre.
There will be 10k, 5k and 1k courses on offer on Sunday, October 4, to raise money for Heritage House, in Wells.
Staff and trustees at want to equip a special greenhouse at the centre and build raised beds to grow flowers and vegetables.
They also need to raise funds to bridge the shortfall between payment received from social services and day visitors and its running costs.
Twenty-eight frail and elderly people receive a home cooked, two course meal each day, along with the option of a having a bath and access to a wide range of public sector support agencies and NHS services.
You may also want to watch:
Pamela Underwood, chair of trustees, said: “We would like to increase this number to 32 each day.
“Staff and volunteers run activities such as singing, painting, seated exercise to music, give hand massage, play board games, help with jigsaws and encourage craft activities such as knitting.
- 1 Banksy-style doctor street art appears on shop front
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 4 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
- 5 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 6 'Sickened' car dealer watches thieves on CCTV
- 7 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 8 The areas of Norfolk where Covid cases are now falling
- 9 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 10 Covid-19 reported at Norfolk chocolate factory
“Being in this environment gives, for many, companionship. Knowing that the one they care for is safe and being looked after also gives respite to their carers, so alleviating anxiety and mental stress.”
Heritage House currently helps care for more than 90 people each week. Three accessible mini-buses with wheelchair tracking are used each day to transport day visitors to and from the centre.
Registration for the run begins at 10am on Sunday, October 4. For further details csall 01328 711333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.