A thousand people expected to gather in Fakenham for day of Easter fun
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Around 1,000 people are expected to visit Fakenham town centre for a day of sporting activities later this year.
The Easter Sunday Funday, organised by Active Fakenham, will take place on Sunday, April 21 and is set to include cycle races, a 5k run, a fun run and a toddle ‘n’ trike event.
Both the runs and cycle races are officially endorsed by UK Athletics and British Cycling respectively and the day will see the town centre roads close from the morning until the evening.
Active Fakenham chairman Richard Crook said: “It brings people to the town. It is a real mixture of local people and we also bring in visitors.
“The toddle ‘n’ trike event is really funny, under-5s are running around with their parents. Hundreds take part in the runs.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a big event and it’s great that we can have it in the town centre.”
The day will start at 10.30am with the 5k run, followed by the 1k fun run and under-5s toddle ‘n’ trike event.
- 1 Property labelled a 'carbuncle' served urgent works notice
- 2 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 3 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 4 World War One commemorative statue stolen
- 5 Application for eight new Fakenham homes is scrapped
- 6 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 7 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod
- 8 Vital Fakenham charity secures future and gets back to business
- 9 Fakenham's Salvation Army forms two new groups
- 10 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
The first of four cycle races then takes place at 1.15pm, with the last race starting at 4pm. The roads then reopen at 7pm.
This is the fourth year Active Fakenham has organised the event and Mr Crook said people are coming back to the town because of it.
He added: “One man emailed me and said he had managed to convince his family to have a short break in Norfolk. People see it and come back.
“It’s attracting tourists. We’ve had a lot of support from local businesses.
“It’s a boost for some of the cafés, restaurants and pubs that are open. Businesses open especially because of it.”
Those wishing to take part in one of the Easter Sunday Funday activities can book a place now.
For more information about the day and to book your place for one of the events, visit www.activefakenham.org.uk or contact Richard via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.