Market town plans VE day celebrations
- Credit: Archant
Its time to get the Union Flag bunting out and get ready to dance in the street as VE day comes to Fakenham.
Fakenham Town Council announced plans for a commemorate Victory in Europe (VE) day in May.
The event which celebrates the surrender of Germany's armed forces on May 8, 1945.
The day will feature the Fakenham Town Band and the Swingtones playing popular songs from those far-off wartime days. As well as a fancy dress competition for the best 1940s inspired costume.
Fakenham History Group will also have items and memorabilia from the time on display. They are also asking anyone with their own historic relics to come along to the church on April 4 to showcase their 1940s items.
You may also want to watch:
Businesses in the town are encouraged to decorate their shops with patriotic decoration. There will also be a military display from The Royal Anglian Regiment and privately owned military vehicles.
The free event will take place on Saturday, May 9, in the Market Place from 1.30pm.
- 1 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 2 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 3 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
- 4 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 7 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
- 8 Storm Christoph flood fears bring spike in sandbag sales
- 9 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 10 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune