Market town plans VE day celebrations
- Credit: Archant
Its time to get the Union Flag bunting out and get ready to dance in the street as VE day comes to Fakenham.
Fakenham Town Council announced plans for a commemorate Victory in Europe (VE) day in May.
The event which celebrates the surrender of Germany's armed forces on May 8, 1945.
The day will feature the Fakenham Town Band and the Swingtones playing popular songs from those far-off wartime days. As well as a fancy dress competition for the best 1940s inspired costume.
Fakenham History Group will also have items and memorabilia from the time on display. They are also asking anyone with their own historic relics to come along to the church on April 4 to showcase their 1940s items.
You may also want to watch:
Businesses in the town are encouraged to decorate their shops with patriotic decoration. There will also be a military display from The Royal Anglian Regiment and privately owned military vehicles.
The free event will take place on Saturday, May 9, in the Market Place from 1.30pm.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Two fisherman saved from boat taking on water
- 3 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 4 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Fakenham shop to host Macmillan Coffee Morning
- 7 Boss looks to improve security at Fakenham business park
- 8 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 9 Trustee reflects on how endangered charity saved his life
- 10 Fakenham's annual riverside day set to finally go ahead