‘They never, ever let these children down’ - Scout leaders volunteer more than 55 years to the community
- Credit: Archant
For more than half a century, a pair of dedicated air scout leaders have sacrificed hours of their time to help young people in their community.
Guy Harris, 50, and David Spate-Hannant, 63, have been volunteering twice a week on Wednesday and Friday nights in term-time for Fakenham Lancaster Air Scouts of the Baden-Powell Scouts’ Association.
Mr Harris has been a leader for more than 30 years, while Mr Spate-Hannant has racked up more than 25 years.
Lisa Bamford, cub leader, said: “They attend meetings, which are always up north, and bring back new ideas for the group.
“They have both worked hard to get these children in the group where they are now, teaching them life skills. These kids start from the age of five years old to adults and some are still in the group now as leaders.
You may also want to watch:
“Both Guy and David have busy lives but never, ever let these children down.”
Ms Bamford said when the group moved to new premises, which has three and a half acres of land, everyone worked tirelessly with tasks such as picking up glass and moving rumble and rubbish to get the site ready for the group to open.
- 1 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 2 Holiday lets look forwards to seeing 'happy faces' as lockdown eases
- 3 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 4 Town centre gets 'spring clean' ahead of high street re-opening
- 5 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 6 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 7 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
- 8 Covid drive-through testing centre opens in town car park
- 9 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 10 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
And on the annual parade day in November, the group always turns out in their shirts as a show respect to the leaders, regardless of the weather.
“Now both Guy and David have a lovely scout group which takes beavers, cubs and scouts,” added Ms Bamford.
“They do shooting and more down there, even go camping. Children down there have built benches, eco buildings out of wood with the help from Guy and David. Every school holidays these children are working cutting grass, maintaining the site because they are proud to have good leaders.
“They work hard for their group and they have given so much to the children, new and old, who have been a part of Fakenham Lancaster Air Scouts group.”
Before Fakenham Lancaster Air Scouts group, the pair also ran Sculthorpe Scouts group and Fakenham Wensum Scouts group.
- Guy Harris and David Spate-Hannant have been nominated as part of The Times’ Unsung Heroes campaign. Do you know a person or organisation that deserves recognition? To enter fill in the form here .