Volunteering to go to the dogs
Emma Knights She has already given two greyhounds a good home and now Jan Mayor, from Great Ryburgh, has been helping to give other dogs a better chance in life by doing volunteer work for Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders.
She has already given two greyhounds a good home and now Jan Mayor, from Great Ryburgh, has been helping to give other dogs a better chance in life by doing volunteer work for Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders.
For the past few months Mrs Mayor has been working with the organisation thanks to the Vodafone World of Difference programme which funds people to work with a charity of their choice.
As Mrs Mayor, 52, has a background in design and publishing she was asked to use her skills to generate publicity and promote fundraising for Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders, part of the Retired Greyhound Trust, which works to ensure greyhounds have a good life following their racing careers.
You may also want to watch:
Some of Mrs Mayor's stories to feature in the press include ones about a greyhound owner running the London Marathon to raise funds for Homefinders, a series of stories about how greyhounds help in the community, and how walking the greyhounds at Homefinders can help with rehabilitation treatment for patients from hospitals.
Mrs Mayor, who has two retired greyhounds called Beau and Lili, plans to continue helping Homefinders even though her Vodafone-funded placement finished this month.
- 1 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
- 2 'It's a win/win' - Fakenham group to sell merchandise at The Larder
- 3 Pints, pups and haircuts - Dereham delight at April 12 reopening
- 4 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 5 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 6 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 7 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
- 8 Who are candidates to be Norfolk's new police and crime commissioner?
- 9 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 10 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
She said: “One of the reasons I got involved is because I have two greyhounds from Homefinders and it is an incredibly friendly little charity that is part of the Retired Greyhound Trust. They also do work for the community as well as looking after the dogs.
“I want to carry on working with Homefinders because it is such a worthwhile cause.”
t For more information on Mrs Mayor's work with Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders visit http://worldofdifference.vodafone.co.uk/uk/janet-mayor/
t For more information on Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders visit www.yarmouth-greyhound-homefinders.co.uk
t Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders is currently trying to raise money for some flatbed digital scales for its new treatment room.
Zoe Mitchell, of Broadland Funeral Service, in Wroxham, has already given �80 but a further �200 is needed. To donate money call 0845 4583797.