Volunteering to go to the dogs
Emma Knights She has already given two greyhounds a good home and now Jan Mayor, from Great Ryburgh, has been helping to give other dogs a better chance in life by doing volunteer work for Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders.
She has already given two greyhounds a good home and now Jan Mayor, from Great Ryburgh, has been helping to give other dogs a better chance in life by doing volunteer work for Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders.
For the past few months Mrs Mayor has been working with the organisation thanks to the Vodafone World of Difference programme which funds people to work with a charity of their choice.
As Mrs Mayor, 52, has a background in design and publishing she was asked to use her skills to generate publicity and promote fundraising for Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders, part of the Retired Greyhound Trust, which works to ensure greyhounds have a good life following their racing careers.
You may also want to watch:
Some of Mrs Mayor's stories to feature in the press include ones about a greyhound owner running the London Marathon to raise funds for Homefinders, a series of stories about how greyhounds help in the community, and how walking the greyhounds at Homefinders can help with rehabilitation treatment for patients from hospitals.
Mrs Mayor, who has two retired greyhounds called Beau and Lili, plans to continue helping Homefinders even though her Vodafone-funded placement finished this month.
- 1 Tributes paid to woman who was ‘family and Fakenham through and through’
- 2 From garden shed to shop - how couple’s upcycling business has grown
- 3 Chippy deep fries Christmas puds and pigs in blankets for charity
- 4 Fundraiser arranged to help fund mother-of-three funeral costs
- 5 Tributes paid to 'amazing' mother-of-five and former hardware shop owner
- 6 'Incredible' donation pays for expansion of Norfolk's largest ancient wood
- 7 'Light at the end of the tunnel' - restaurant owner's hopes after tier two announcement
- 8 Why Norfolk districts cannot be in different Covid tiers - yet
- 9 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 10 Referrals increase for Christmas appeal with fears they might not meet demand
She said: “One of the reasons I got involved is because I have two greyhounds from Homefinders and it is an incredibly friendly little charity that is part of the Retired Greyhound Trust. They also do work for the community as well as looking after the dogs.
“I want to carry on working with Homefinders because it is such a worthwhile cause.”
t For more information on Mrs Mayor's work with Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders visit http://worldofdifference.vodafone.co.uk/uk/janet-mayor/
t For more information on Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders visit www.yarmouth-greyhound-homefinders.co.uk
t Yarmouth Greyhound Homefinders is currently trying to raise money for some flatbed digital scales for its new treatment room.
Zoe Mitchell, of Broadland Funeral Service, in Wroxham, has already given �80 but a further �200 is needed. To donate money call 0845 4583797.