Wells hosts popular poetry event
One of Norfolk's most popular poetry events returns to the coast today with celebrated writers sharing the limelight with first-time performers.Now in its 12th year, the Poetry-next-the-Sea festival will bring a host of internationally-renowned wordsmiths to new audiences throughout the weekend.
One of Norfolk's most popular poetry events returns to the coast today with celebrated writers sharing the limelight with first-time performers.
Now in its 12th year, the Poetry-next-the-Sea festival will bring a host of internationally-renowned wordsmiths to new audiences throughout the weekend.
And there will also be a chance for any emerging talents to read their work at an Open Floor event on Sunday, where winners of the festival's second open poetry competition will also be announced.
A packed events schedule features creative luminaries like Dame Gillian Beer, Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry winners Fleur Adcock and Hugo Williams, and author Louis de Berni�res who will be talking about his favourite poems.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be readings from East Anglian poets and workshops exploring the links between rhyme, rhythm, music and art.
Caroline Gilfillan, chairman of the festival committee, said: “We have a diverse and exciting programme this year which will appeal to both experienced poetry fans and those who are just curious to revisit poetry for the first time since their school days.
- 1 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 2 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 5 Banksy-style doctor street art appears on shop front
- 6 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 7 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 8 'Don't give up' - Veteran on how photography sparked PTSD fightback
- 9 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
- 10 Shepherdess shocked as lamb fetches £1,752 at charity auction
“We look forward to welcoming many people to Wells-next-the-Sea during our festival weekend.”
Other writers making the trip to the Norfolk coast include poet, dramatist and novelist Michael Symmons Roberts, and witty performance reader Annie Freud, daughter of Lucian Freud.
In a change to the programme, composer Anthony Powers and local writer Irene Noel-Baker will combine with singer Michael Chance and guitarist James Boyd in an event called Lyric Poetry: Where Words and Music Meet at The Maltings, at 7pm on Sunday.
Full details of events and ticket prices can be found at www.poetry-next-the-sea.com.