Wells WI 90 and going strong
Nine decades of the Women's Institute in Wells were celebrated over the weekend with a two-day anniversary exhibition.Work of members past and present and memorabilia were on display at the WI hall during the two-day event, which is the highlight of the 90th birthday celebrations.
Nine decades of the Women's Institute in Wells were celebrated over the weekend with a two-day anniversary exhibition.
Work of members past and present and memorabilia were on display at the WI hall during the two-day event, which is the highlight of the 90th birthday celebrations.
One of the most popular attractions for visitors were the old photographs and they included pictures of Wells WI founder and long-time president Florence Smith, a group of members from 1932, Elsie Smith when she was chairman in 1945 and Rachel Chamberlain, when she had the role in 1965.
There were also a membership role and membership card from 1919.
You may also want to watch:
Current members have received a 90th birthday certificate from the WI.
The Wells WI is continuing its celebrations with a spring craft market on Saturday, 10am-noon, at the hal on Church Plain behind the youth hostel.
- 1 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 2 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 5 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 6 Stately home to host work by famous sculptor
- 7 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 8 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 9 Day of two halves - Footballer wins £80,000 and breaks leg in 24 hours
- 10 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
Proceeds from the events will go to local charities.