Wells WI 90 and going strong
Nine decades of the Women's Institute in Wells were celebrated over the weekend with a two-day anniversary exhibition.Work of members past and present and memorabilia were on display at the WI hall during the two-day event, which is the highlight of the 90th birthday celebrations.
Nine decades of the Women's Institute in Wells were celebrated over the weekend with a two-day anniversary exhibition.
Work of members past and present and memorabilia were on display at the WI hall during the two-day event, which is the highlight of the 90th birthday celebrations.
One of the most popular attractions for visitors were the old photographs and they included pictures of Wells WI founder and long-time president Florence Smith, a group of members from 1932, Elsie Smith when she was chairman in 1945 and Rachel Chamberlain, when she had the role in 1965.
There were also a membership role and membership card from 1919.
You may also want to watch:
Current members have received a 90th birthday certificate from the WI.
The Wells WI is continuing its celebrations with a spring craft market on Saturday, 10am-noon, at the hal on Church Plain behind the youth hostel.
- 1 Flooding concerns over plans for 12 village homes
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 'We'll miss it' - Rector leaves town's church after six years
- 4 Retired landlady died at home after asbestos exposure, inquest hears
- 5 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 6 Renowned violinist to play at Nelson's village church
- 7 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 8 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 9 A love letter to Norfolk - Poem written more than 50 years ago discovered in book
- 10 Heavy rain and thunder set to continue with weather warnings in place
Proceeds from the events will go to local charities.