Your say - Should Fakenham's Norwich Street be car free?
- Credit: Sam Dawes
Norwich Street in Fakenham has been closing on market days to help shoppers make the most of their visit.
But should it become car-free for good? Reporter Aaron McMillan asked people in the town what they thought.
David Bacon, 74, from Fakenham, said: “Yes, it would be a good idea. We have not had a problem for a while, but we used to have some people treating it like a racing track.
"The only problem is it is the only direct route into town for the emergency services. They should be given the access to use the road.”
Ron Back, 82 from Suffolk, said: “I think so, it would just make it easier and safer for shoppers and might increase the number of shops and people who come here.”
You may also want to watch:
Chantelle Amphlett, 35, from Fakenham, said: “No, I do not, because there is no reason for it. It is the easiest way to get through town and helps traffic. If closed I worry that it will become congested all over the town.”
Ben Fisher, 27, from Fakenham, said: “No because it would cause mayhem. It is not busy enough to close it, in my opinion. Look today on market day and how many people are walking down it, it is not enough to warrant closing it.”
- 1 Last man alive to be born at country home celebrates 100th birthday
- 2 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 3 Lifeboat launched to rescue broken down 30ft cruiser
- 4 Testing plea for visitors as holiday season heats up
- 5 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 6 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 7 Siblings united for pop-up selling burgers and ice cream on farm
- 8 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 9 Community brings flower power to village streets
- 10 'He shouldn't be getting abuse' - Fakenham pubs react to landlord's vax stance
Stephanie Jenkinson, 74, from Thursford Green, said: “Yes, I don’t see any point in having this open. People are using it today and it is seeing good use for it and there are not people parking up on the street or racing down it. I think it is good for a town to have some pedestrianised roads.
Heather Taylor, 65, from Fakenham, said: “No, because I don’t see how I would be able to get home.
"It would become a huge detour for me to get home, it is already an issue because they have made one of the roads one way and closing Norwich Street will make my life harder.
"I don’t think it gets that busy, look at it now on market day, there are not that many people walking up it.”