Ambitious plans for Fakenham cricket
Ambitious expansion plans have been revealed by Fakenham Cricket Club.
The starting point for what chairman Martin Turner described to Friday night’s annual meeting as “a massive project” is leasing school land backing onto the current ground, writes John Cushion.
That will enable the club to lay a new square for the third and fourth teams to use instead of using the Trap Lane square some distance away from the current Highfield Lawn set-up.
“The standard of our cricket is always improving and the demands on our square at Highfield Lawn (100 matches last season) is getting to breaking point,” said Turner.
Negotiations are well in hand. Turner explained: “This is the starting point for a massive project that will mean the creation of new changing rooms and bigger facilities within the club. It will be a big step forward and will open up a new world of opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
“However, all this development will cost, and with the county in its present state, Lottery money and ECB grants will be harder to come by.
“If this project is to succeed it will mean a greater effort in fund raising from all members of the club. Just attending events and paying for an extra drink will all help.”
- 1 'Everything has to end' - Jeweller to retire after 16 years on high street
- 2 From lockdown hobby to high street shop - New Fakenham crafts store opens
- 3 A peek inside 10 Wells-next-the-Sea beach huts
- 4 Source of sound that mystified village revealed to be rocket testing
- 5 Beach hut rentals soar as people flock to the seaside
- 6 BBC Springwatch to return to Norfolk beauty spot
- 7 'In my dreams forever' - Brothers-in-law open street food takeaway
- 8 Decade old Fakenham salon could be turned into home
- 9 Voting open for students' Bluetooth device
- 10 Sisters of BBC judge hope to breathe new life into Fakenham pub
He added that the clubhouse bar was now open Friday and Saturday nights for anyone to have a drink.
A new television had been bought and the ladies’ toilet and the kitchen had been modernised in the past year.
He thanked all those who helped the club behind the scenes.