Another depressing afternoon as Fakenham Town lose again
- Credit: PA
Fakenham Town remain rooted to the foot of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division table after a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Stanway Rovers at the weekend.
It was the visitors who began the game the stronger of the two sides, taking the lead in the 18th minute with what proved to be the only goal of the first half.
Less than five minutes into the second period and the scoreline was doubled, a free header beating Pearson in the Fakenham goal.
Stanway then completed the scoring with a third in the 80th minute, a corner from the right being headed home.
The defeat was the Ghosts’ seventh defeat in eight league matches, with only three goals being scored and 24 conceded.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham line-up: Pearson, Akers, Garner, Youngs, J.Williams, Sturman (Gilchrist), Claxton, Atkins (D.Williams), Plumb, Cantwell, Taylor.
On Saturday, Haverhill Borough - who are also struggling after taking just six points from seven games - are the visitors to Clipbush Park in the league (3pm).
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 4 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 5 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 6 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 7 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 8 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 9 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn
- 10 Council leader accused of operating 'small cabal'
The Ghosts then travel to face mid-table Great Yarmouth Town on Tuesday evening (7:45pm), a fixture postponed a fortnight ago due to floodlight issues at The Wellesley.
It’s a brighter picture in Anglian Combination Division Two, with Fakenham’s Reserves returning to top spot after taking all three points away at Poringland. Goals from Ian Bulley, Ben Darby (2) and Joey Harrison (2) gave The Ghosts’ second string a 4-0 win and maintained their 100pc league record.
There is no fixture for the side this weekend while Mattishall Reserves visit Clipbush Park on Tuesday evening (7.30pm).
First team manager Robbie Harris will doubtless be looking to give several of the high-flying Reserve players a run-out in his side’s fixture on Saturday. Ricky Claxton was the latest to make the step up, adding some much needed firepower to the first team.
Fakenham Ladies’ were unlucky not to come out of their away fixture against Stalham Ladies on Sunday with nothing to show for their efforts after an entertaining game.
The goals in a 6-5 defeat came from Sam King (3) and Rochy Woods (2).
Thorpe United Ladies are the visitors to Clipbush Park this weekend in Division One of the Norfolk Women’s and Girls Football League, in which The Ghosts sit ninth.