Anxious time for Fakenham rugby
Fakenham 6, Stowmarket 19Fakenham missed an opportunity for a win to increase anxieties about staying in EC1. In the next few weeks they have some tough fixtures against sides all above them in the league, such as Wisbech next away, Holt, and Lowestoft & Yarmouth.
Fakenham 6, Stowmarket 19
Fakenham missed an opportunity for a win to increase anxieties about staying in EC1.
In the next few weeks they have some tough fixtures against sides all above them in the league, such as Wisbech next away, Holt, and Lowestoft & Yarmouth.
Selection has been very difficult with numerous experienced players unavailable due to injury, but on Saturday the side selected was determined and showed passion under pressure.
Stowmarket opened the score with a penalty but Fakenham were soon back on equal terms with a penalty converted by J Bayne-Young from near halfway. At this point Fakenham played well, neither side really capitalising on the other's mistakes until Stow managed to score just before half time: 6-15.
Fakenham started the second half well with good surging runs by Peter Underwood who has only been promoted to the team recently. With each game he is becoming a force to be reckoned with. Another force who was playing in a new position was Jono Strong, with good powerful tackles ably supported by Graham Aldridge celebrating his 21st.
- 1 Nurse relives crash drama as calls for road to be gritted grow
- 2 Main road through seaside town to close for five weeks
- 3 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 4 Fakenham firms keen to protect customers as rate of inflation soars
- 5 Obituary: Farm merchant who helped save revered brewing barley dies aged 81
- 6 New special school opens doors to first students
- 7 The Floods of 1953 in Norfolk: Remembering the heroes who helped
- 8 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 9 Canoeist Shaun chasing Paralympic dream after devastating bike crash
- 10 30-year-old to take over as district council leader
Under constant pressure and reduced to 14 men through lack of discipline, Fakenham - however hard they tried- could not score and gave Stowmarket another penalty: 6-19.
Again it's the youngsters that are proving to have the determination, and it is hoped they continue to play together as his will be a good stepping stone.